Blogs > Laura Kessel's blog

Laura Kessel is managing editor of The News-Herald in Willoughby. She writes a weekly column and shares her thoughts here.

Monday, January 17, 2011

Back at work, where's my salute?

I came back to work this morning after a week of life among the U.S. Marines in Cleveland and South Carolina.

I haven't been called ma'am so far today, and, frankly, I kind of miss it. A girl can get used to that kind of civility.

Three people from my office were away last week. One was in Philadelphia undergoing training; another was on a travel trip to Paris; and I was in Parris Island. I think I had the best trip.

And, it'll take a long time to get over an experience like Marine Corps Recruit Depot Parris Island. I'm about back to normal on my sleep schedule; I'm excited to hit the gym again today after too much time off; and it felt good to have a huge salad for lunch.

But, emotionally, I'm still flying high as I remember how hard these servicemen and women worked, both in training and ensuring we got to see what a young man or woman endures in the journey to become a Marine.

If you know a recuiter, be sure to thank him for his hard work finding the right kids who will hold the title of U.S. Marine. If you don't know one, you're truly missing out.

The men who staff the 12 recruiting stations around Northeast Ohio are the best of the best, focused on finding the needle in the haystack who will thrive in an environment of service to his or her country while fulfilling a promise of being a good citizen.

Thanks to all of you who are working so hard to keep me and my fellow Americans safe every day.

LKessel@News-Herald.com
@lauranh

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home