Blogs > Laura Kessel's blog

Laura Kessel is managing editor of The News-Herald in Willoughby. She writes a weekly column and shares her thoughts here.

Friday, November 11, 2011

Marking holidays with buy, buy, buy?

If I keep writing about stuff I see on television, people are going to think that’s all I do.

That couldn’t be further from the truth, frankly.

I just seem to wake up from my naps at times that remarkable things are occurring on the boob tube.

Take the other day. I made the mistake of lying down as soon as I got home from the gym, while waiting for dinner to finish cooking. That’s a mistake because as soon as I’m prone, I’m asleep.

I awoke to the sound of a JCPenney commercial.

Normally, that’s not a bad thing. I like Penney’s.

When they have a sale, I like to know about it.

But this one wasn’t advertising a sale. No, it was encouraging me to do my Christmas shopping at Penney’s.

Christmas? On Nov. 7!

I don’t usually start thinking about the holidays until after Election Day.

And, well, until after Thanksgiving. Which is the first of the holidays, if you remember correctly.
Don’t get me wrong. I understand that Christmas comes earlier and earlier every year.

I remember spending several Halloween nights assembling Christmas merchandise displays while working at Sears in Richmond Heights.

Of course, in the 20 years since then, Christmas has started coming well before that time of year.

I just don’t like it.

Why can’t we give every holiday its due? I know that retailers are becoming more and more dependent on our spirit of giving at holiday time. And I’m as apt as the next person to hit the spirit a little too hard when it comes to remembering all those I want to at Christmas.

But can’t they give us credit and assume we’ll do all that crazy spending in the days and weeks that follow Thanksgiving?

But, before we get to the after-Thanksgiving sales, we have to get through the Veterans Day sales.

Again, I know it’s the same idea. Retailers are hurting, so they offer a sale tied to a holiday. Many people had yesterday off for the holiday, so they assume they had nothing to do but shop.

Goodness knows, nothing says thank you to soldiers, sailors and Marines who gave their time to protect my freedoms like a good furniture sale.

I shouldn’t complain. At least they’re offering deals on all the stuff they’re selling for higher prices than they used to.

I understand that, too. Gas prices rise, so their costs rise, and they have to pass it along. I get it all.
Maybe I’m just venting. And, I’ll admit it, shopping too.

So, they got me. The deals are too good to pass up. And, I know retailers need it, so my only complaint is that I can’t resist a good sale.

I just wish there weren’t so many of them.
LKessel@News-Herald.com
Twitter: @Lauranh

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Laura-I used to subscribe to the News Herald. I called my carrier to tell her I would be away for Thanksgiving. She told me, I should not have gotten the paper today as I am behind in payments. She then suggested I just stop getting the paper. Aren't we trying to sell papers and keep customers? The Plain Dealer talked me out of dropping them and worked within my budget.
maureenmed@aol.com

November 19, 2011 at 12:47 PM 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home